Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Simplify: Easy as ABC

So tonight I went to an all women's church activity and the whole activity was based on simplifying our lives. There were about 15-20 women that got up and shared tips and tricks that they use to do things faster, simpler, easier. For example, to clean your iron put a little salt on your ironing board, turn the iron on high, rub rub rub right over the salt! It will clean it up and shine it right back to new! At the end of all the little presentations and demonstrations we got a huge packet of at lease 100 tips and tricks to make things easier on us homemakers.

The past few weeks I've had a lot of time to spend thinking and pondering about my life. I've thought about finances, our future family, our home, our jobs, our church attendance, my personal goals, and my talents and abilities. I've come to realize that Jordan and I live very simple lives. We have been simpletons our whole marriage and I can say that I'm the happiest and most satisfied I've ever been in my life. I don't meddle in the politics and drama of heavy relationships with others, that is not to say that I don't have deep friendships, because I do, I am just more selective in those I choose to surround myself with. I don't focus on having all the hippest clothes and the shiniest jewelry. I visit a few sites on the internet and don't spend hours scouring for my next favorite. We live in a small apartment with the basics of everything. Our favorite date night activity is going to the cheap seats to see the newest movie.

Jordan and I live a very simple life and I think that is why we are so happy. We have cut out all the fluff stuff that doesn't matter to us and live in such a way that we can embrace only those things that work for us. We don't have a grand fantasy of "one day" owning a giant house with a pool, game room, theater, and 4 car garage. We don't dream of "one day" walking down the red carpet. We are who we are doing the best we can with what we have living one day at a time.

The activity tonight solidified in me the need to live a simplistic life. Because I have cut out things I think are fluff I'm not distracted and firmly know who I am, what I stand for, and why I live the way I live. I'm blessed to realize this at this time in my life. I am blessed and I'm grateful for the happiness that is cultivated in my home because of the simplicity of my life.