Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Balsamic, Onion, and Garlic Glazed Pork Chops

Oh my yummy yummy yummy!

Pretty much what I do around noon everyday is go to the deep freezer and see what kind of meat we have and base my dinner meal around that. I need to be better at meal planning, but with a 2 month old, this is the best I can do for now.

I was a little hesitant at first to use this recipe because I thought the balsamic would be way to strong, but it really mellowed out while cooking and was SO delicious. I even ventured out and used the cast iron skillet to pre-cook AND bake the chops. My first experience using a cast iron skillet all on my own was absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to use it again!

I got the recipe from The Meanest Mamma, but I made a couple changes/substitutions which are italicized below.

Ingredients:
  • 4 (3/4-inch-thick) pork chops, ~2lbs
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons F.O.C. (fat of choice, I used coconut oil) — for cooking the pork chops
  • 1 tablespoon F.O.C. for sauteing shallots (I used EVOO)
  • ~3 oz  shallots or onion, peeled and diced (more would be even better, but that’s all I had)
  • 3-4 large cloves of garlic
  • 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
Instructions:

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.

Pat pork dry and season both sides with sea salt and pepper. In a large oven-proof skillet (or have a second, oven-proof dish ready to transfer to, if necessary), heat oil/fat over medium heat. Add the chops and brown them on both sides, ~2-3 minutes per side.

While the chops are cooking, add a little oil to a small sauce pan, over medium-to-low heat, and saute the shallots/onions and garlic for a couple of minutes. Once the shallots/onions and garlic have softened up and turned golden brown, add the balsamic vinegar and a little more salt and pepper (to taste). Cook sauce until the ingredients combine and start to thicken up, ~2-3 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the pork chops and transfer the skillet to the oven. Cover skillet and bake the pork chops, in the sauce for ~30 minutes, or until temperature reaches 160 degrees.

Serve with favorite veggies and be sure to pour sauce over the chops for maximum flavor.