Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Herb Bread

Yesterday we were out of bread so I knew I needed to make a new loaf. I was tired of a traditional white loaf and didn't want a whole wheat loaf....I wanted something different, but yet still functional in the sense that I could make sandwiches with the bread if I wanted to. I was looking around in my cookbook Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg & Lois Conway and I found the perfect recipe...Herb Bread. 

 MMmmmm! It is so aromatic, yet not overwhelming to the taste. It is just the right texture, especially with a little bit of butter. It is just the right bread if you are looking for something a little more tasty than a plain white bread!

You will need:
- 3 tablespoons butter or margerine
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup milk ( for Welbilt/Dak machines add 2 tablespoons more milk)
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

First, in a small skillet, melt your butter over low heat. Add the onion and saute 8 to 10 minutes until the onion is soft but not brown. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool for about 10 minutes before you add it to the mixing pan.

Put all your ingredients including the onion mixture into the mixing pan. Once all ingredients are in the mixing pan put the pan in the bread machine and select the dough setting, or mix in your mixer. Seeings as I work with a bread machine I'm not sure of the kneading time and/or rise time if you don't have a bread machine. So I would say if you are used to making bread without a bread machine proceed with the process as you normally would. If you don't own a bread machine or know how to make bread by hand it looks like you have a little research to do!

While the dough is rising, grease and flour your bread pan so your bread comes out nice and easy once it is done cooking. When your bread is close to being done rising preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Once your dough is done rising put your dough in the pan and make sure it goes to each side and corner of the pan or you'll have an odd looking loaf. Once in the oven I usually set my timer for 25-35 minutes. When your timer chimes take the loaf out and check a couple of things... does it have good color? does the loaf sound hollow when you tap on the top? If those are a yes then you are done! If it is a no, then go ahead and slide your bread on in for a few more minutes and then repeat the checking process.

Sometimes I'm so excited for my bread to be done I hardly let it cool, but then again sometimes I let it cool for an hour! I'm not exactly sure why they say to let it cool for an hour before slicing...so if any of you know please tell me, but the official recipe says to let cool for an hour before slicing.

Anywho...just as a reminder, I am a novice! I'm sure there are some things I've forgotten to mention in here so if you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask! Enjoy!