Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Conspiring Against our Children

I think there is a moment in everyone's life that they hear someone's name and they either think to themselves or say out loud "man, their parents must have hated them" or some variation of that. Most often this is because the boy has a girl name or the girl has a boy name or, in the case of many celebrities, the names are just plain weird. It is as if parent's conspire against their children when they aren't even born yet! As they sit and talk they come up with some diabolical plan to make their kid the most made fun of or unique or special or whatever kid in the whole nation!

For example:
- Jan Jorgensen. He is a super manly man. Used to be a UFC fighter, now plays professional football, graduated from BYU.....WHY DID HIS PARENTS NAME HIM JAN?!
- Apple. I think we've ALL rolled our eyes at this one. Gweneth Paltrow and Chris Martin...what were you thinking?!
- Coco. Child of Courteney Cox and David Arquette. I love Monica just as much as the next person...but c'mon!
- Oh but my very favorite is....SAGE MOONBLOOD. Who in their right mind would name a child that?! Sage Moonblood. That would be Sylvester Stallone.

What about those weird spellings of names? Oh man, everyone wants to be creative.

For example:
- Mysheelle (Michelle)
- Bryone (Bryan)
- Lien (Lynn)
- Haddon (Hayden)
- Linzy (Lindsey)

You get the point, but parents are on this kick to make sure their kids have what many would think the weirdest spelling possible.

Anyways....the reason I go through all of that is to tell you.....Jordan and I are the above mentioned future parents. It all started a few weeks ago. It was late and we were making the 30 minute drive from his parents house to our house, and it was laaate. I don't know how we got onto the subject of weird names, but somehow we were coming up with genius "genius" names for our kids. I posted a status on Facebook and got a few funny comments and then forgot about it.

Skip forward to yesterday. Jordan and I were sitting in Chili's having Happy Birthday lunch and the subject came up again and I realized that we were creating a diabolical plan for our children!! Some of the names we came up with were:

- Cameron Elliot Lott ---------- Cam E. Lott
- Ender Albus Lott ------------- Ender from Ender's Game, Albus from Harry Potter
- Olivia Willow Lott ------------ her initials would be O.W.L.

Those are the only one's I'll share because I don't want anyone stealing my name ideas! But, some other names we came up with and decided we really liked were:

- Hermonie
- Saphira
- Katniss
- Rue
- Arwen
- Peeta
- Sam-Wise
- Ender
- Albus
- Aragorn
- Sherlock
- Clark or Kent

There were a few others, but I think I got the majority. As I was laughing yesterday I realized that I probably resembled Mr. Burns from the Simpsons......