Sunday, September 30, 2012

Be Prepared

Happy Sunday Y'all!

Today in church we had a lesson on food storage. Just a little background for those of you that are not familiar with the term "food storage."

Some of you may know that the Boy Scouts of America's motto is "Be Prepared." Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints like to take unto themselves that same charge to be prepared. Be prepared for an emergency,  a natural disaster, a break in, even a house full of people on Sunday afternoon! The most crucial elements of survival in any situation are food, water, and shelter. Now many of you will probably still have a house even if the power goes out, so that is basically a gim'me of the three elements of survival. The other two elements, water and food, can be a little more tricky, especially if the survival situation turns long-term. That is the reason for food storage, to gather food and water for that just-in-case situation. There is so much information on food storage I'm not going to even begin, but I will provide a website I found at the end for those interested in reading further information.

Anyways...after church I was thinking about the lesson and  the different components of being prepared. One very small, but important component to me is having any and all information I need to take care of business. As soon and I had that thought I remembered I found a really neat tutorial on how to create an Emergency Document Folder. As soon as I finished lunch I began working on creating my folder. The above link has templates you can use for creating/compiling important information from an evacuation plan to individual profiles for each family member, from important phone numbers to financial info. This step-by-step guide allows you to create a folder where ALL of your most valuable information can be accessed quickly and efficiently by you and your loved ones.

Please take a look at this and if you haven't already, work on compiling information that would be beneficial in an emergency situation.

This website is a fabulous website for ideas on how to be self-reliant, how to create/maintain food storage, how to create an emergency kit, and much much more!

In an ever changing world take charge and know that the security and stability of your family is in your own hands.