Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Veggie Stew

When I made this soup I didn't follow a recipe, I just took a look in my fridge and pantry and threw in a little of everything. If you don't have an ingredient I've listed, don't worry about it. If you want to add something I didn't list, go for it!

Veggie Stew

By: Lexi Lott

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 C water
  • 20 oz low sodium chicken broth
  • 1-1.5 lb. lean ground beef (you could use ground turkey or even chicken)
  • 3-4 cloves of garlic
  • 2 small zucchini
  • 1 large onion
  • 2-4 carrots
  • 4-5 stalks of celery
  • 2-3 florette of cauliflower
  • 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
  • 1 can of tomatoes (do not drain)
  • olive oil
  • dried herbs of your choice (I used herbs de province, parsley, and a couple bay leaves)
  • salt and pepper
  • Parmesan

Directions:

Brown meat in hot olive oil. Add minced garlic, herbs, and salt and pepper.While your meat is cooking add to a separate pot, water, chicken broth, chopped zucchini, onion, carrots, celery, cauliflower, black beans, tomatoes (do not drain, dump in the whole can), and bay leaves.
Once the meat is cooked through and garlic is translucent add to the pot, cover, and simmer 30 to 40 minutes. When ready to serve, top with a little parmesan and voila! 

Makes: 5-6 servings